Neutralization and Disposal of Leached Tailings From The Ecophos® Phosphoric Acid Process

Davis, Kirk S. ; Ericson, Wayne A. ; Winkler, Cornelis
Organization: Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration
Pages: 8
Publication Date: Jan 1, 1992
BCI has developed a chemical process known as Ecophos® for the multi-industrial Pine Level Project in DeSoto County, Florida. Approximately 85 percent of the phosphogypsum at Pine Level will be converted to a very clean gypsum. The remaining 15 percent, including impurities plus some quartz tailings sand, constitutes what is termed redigestion solids. BCI has developed an alternative to the practice of disposing phosphogypsum in large above-ground impoundments. The proposed disposal method consists of mixing the redigestion solids with clays and reacting the mixture (leached tailings) with lime prior to disposal into the mine excavations as a reclamation soil material. Leachate water quality testing using lysimeter equipment indicates that the pore water associated with neutralized leached tailings meets maximum contaminant levels set for the drinking water standards of radium and selected primary metals.
Full Article Download:
(471 kb)